Immediately activate the building’s fire alarm system.
Evacuate the building unless otherwise notified.
If you discover a fire:
- Manually activate the building’s fire alarm system.
- Immediately evacuate the building, closing doors and windows behind you.
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS.
- Locate people with special needs and provide assistance if possible.
Otherwise, provide their location to emergency responders.
Report to your department’s designated gathering point to be accounted for.
- Call 911.
Once the fire alarm is activated:
- Walk quickly to the nearest exit. Do not use the elevators.
- If you are able, help those who need special assistance.
- Notify fire personnel if you think someone might still be in the building.
- Gather away from the building and emergency responders at a pre-designated location.
DO NOT re-enter the building until the fire department has cleared the scene.
If caught in smoke:
- Do not breathe the smoke.
- Drop to your knees and crawl to the closest safe exit.
- Breathe through your nose and use a shirt or towel to breathe through, if possible.
If trapped in a building:
- Close all doors and windows.
- Wet and place cloth material around and under the door to prevent smoke from entering.
- Attempt to signal people outside of the building. Call for help using a telephone or cell phone.
USING A FIRE EXTINGUISHER:
Fire and life safety policy
- Report the fire first (call 911).
- Use a fire extinguisher only if you have been trained to do so. Improper use of an extinguisher can increase
- If you have any doubt of your ability to fight the fire, exit immediately.
- If you decide to use a fire extinguisher, place yourself between the fire and your exit from the area.
- To use the fire extinguisher, follow the PASS method.
- P ull the pin. This will break the tamper seal if one is provided.
- A im low, pointing the extinguisher nozzle (or the horn or hose) at the base of the fire.
- S queeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent.
- S weep from side to side at the base of the fire until the fire is out. Watch the area.
- If the fire re-ignites, repeat the steps above.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, retaliation, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies and is the University’s Title IX Coordinator: the Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.